Marriage License Information
Applications and Ceremonies:
30 Washington Street
Cumberland, MD 21502
Marriage Application Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday
Marriage Ceremonies Performed: Monday thru Friday, 8:30 a.m. to Noon and 1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
- If you apply in Allegany County you must be married in Allegany County
- Only one person needs to apply
- There is a $35.00 non-refundable fee, payable by cash only.
- A license is not effective until 6:00 a.m. on the second calendar day after the license is issued.
- The license is issued the same day you apply, and it is valid for 6 months (you must be married within 6 months or the license will expire)
Information You Will Need to Apply
You may want to complete the marriage application work sheet and bring it with you when you apply for the license.
- Full names
- Current Addresses
- State of Birth
- Social Security Number (mandatory)
- If you have ever been married before, we need to know the County and State and the complete date for the last divorce or death of spouse.
Marriage of Minors (under age 18)
- 16 or 17 years old must present either a notarized written consent of the parent or legal guardian, or a certificate from a licensed physician. Certification from the physician must be written on his/her letterhead stating that the physician has physically examined the woman to be married and positively determined that she is pregnant or has given birth to a child. The certificate must be signed by the licensed physician. A nurse or assistant cannot sign the certificate.
- 15 years old must have the a notarized written consent of the parent or legal guardian and a certificate from a licensed physician. Certification from the physician must be written on his/her letterhead stating that the physician has physically examined the woman to be married and positively determined that she is pregnant or has given birth to a child. The certificate must be signed by the licensed physician. A nurse or assistant cannot sign the certificate. A birth certificate stating that the bride has given birth to a child is sufficient.
- 14 years and younger may not marry.
If you are not a resident of Allegany County and are unable to visit the Office of the Clerk, you may apply using a Non-Resident Marriage License Application-Affidavit (fillable PDF form). Right-click on the link to save the form to your PC. The Non-Resident Marriage License Application-Affidavit is a printable document. Please DO NOT complete the application until you are sworn in at the location in your area where you would get a marriage license.
Civil Ceremonies Performed by the Clerk
- There is a $25.00 non-refundable fee, payable by cash or money order before the time of the ceremony.
- Ceremonies will be performed between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to Noon and 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Certified Copies of Marriage Records
Certified copies may be obtained (in person) at 30 Washington Street, Cumberland, MD 21502. You may also request a certified copy by mail. For your convenience, you may complete the Application for Certified Copy of Marriage License and mail it to the Clerk of the Circuit Court, 30 Washington Street, Cumberland, MD 21502. Please include in your request:
- Date of Marriage
- Cash or money order for $5.50 for each copy, payable to the Clerk of the Circuit Court
Unfortunately, our office no longer accepts personal checks. For copies requested by mail, please include a self-addressed stamped envelope OR an additional $2.00 fee to cover postage.
For further information on obtaining a marriage license or questions about civil ceremonies, please call 301-777-5922.