Business LicensesGetting Started
To obtain a license, you must first determine what type of license you need, if any. The Clerk's Office issues several types of licenses on behalf of the Comptroller of Maryland and the Calvert County Government. The Clerk's Office will be happy to provide information regarding any of the licenses we issue and to assist with any of your procedural questions. Contact us at (410) 535-1600 ext. 2264. However, we cannot provide any legal advice or be responsible for determining the type of license you should purchase.
You can quickly obtain access to information on the permits and licenses you may need to start, relocate, or expand a business in Maryland by using the following links:
- Business License Information System (includes startup information and an alphabetized list of all State licenses and permits)
- Comptroller of Maryalnd - Business Informaton and Services (includes business license tips, frequently asked questions, employer withholding information, tax registration)
- Department of Assessment and Taxation (contains information on how to obtain a trade name)
- E-License (you may begin the process by providing your information through E-License, but you must appear in person to process the application)
How to Apply
If you determine that you need a license that is issued by the Clerk of the Circuit Court, you will need to appear in person to process the business license application. Currently, applications are processed only in an E-License format by presenting the information in person. You may begin the process by presenting the information online through E-License, but you must still visit our office to process the application. Our office is located at the Courthouse, 175 Main Street, Prince Frederick, MD 20678.
1) Complete the application by providing the following information to the Clerk:
- Type of license for which you are applying
- Owner's name (Individual, Corporation, etc.)
- Location address
- Mailing address
- Social Security Number or Federal Tax Identification Number
- Phone Number
- Worker's Compensation Policy Number or Certificate of Compliance Corporate ID Number and number of employees (if applicable)
- Amount of inventory, if applying for a Trader's License
- Number of Vending Machines, if applying for a Vending Machine License
- VIN number of vehicle, if applying for a Junk Dealer's License
2) The application must be signed by the Owner or a Corporate Officer.
3) Obtain the following necessary approval signatures: (obtain in order listed)
- Planning & Zoning - must approve ALL new licenses and any changes of business location address. Planning & Zoning is located in the County Services Plaza, 150 Main Street, Prince Frederick, MD 20678 (410) 535-2346
- Assessment & Taxation - located across from the Courthouse in the Louis L. Goldstein State Office Building, 2nd floor, 200 Duke Street, Prince Frederick, MD 20678. (443) 550-6840
- Calvert County Treasurer's Office - located 1st floor, Courthouse, 175 Main Street, Prince Frederick, MD 20678. (410) 535-1600 ext. 2272
4) Pay required license fees to the Clerk of the Circuit Court- cash or check only.
Courtesy copies of the aplications for retail sales tax and trade name registration are available upon request. Please contact the appropriate issuing agency for more information about those applications or for information about other types of licenses not issued by the Clerk of the Circuit Court.
Scrap Metal Licenses
Please read the memo from the Comptroller of Maryland regarding Scrap Metal Licenses.
Tobacconists and Other Tobacco Products Retailers
For more information regarding our 2 new license types, please read the following handouts from the Comptroller's Office:
TT-13 (frequently asked questions)
TT-68 (House Bill 88 - Other Tobacco Products Retailers, Tobacconists)
Transient Vendors License
Please read our memo for Transient Vendors.