Recording a Deed in Calvert County
Social security numbers and driver's license numbers may not be included in any instrument submitted for recording in Land Records. Legislation allows for these numbers to be "masked" from public view. If you would like to request this information to be "masked", please email the Maryland State Archives at: firstname.lastname@example.org or Kathy P. Smith, Clerk of the Circuit Court at: email@example.com. Please use the following form to make your request: Instructions / request form. You may view your documents at Mdlandrec.net. Once you have received your username and password, you may search land records by name and/or book and page number. As always, feel free to contact us with any questions.
How to Record a Deed in Calvert County
Any deed or document that effects a change of ownership must be:
(1) accompanied by a completed intake sheet
(2) presented with a copy of the complete deed for submission to the Department of Assessments and Taxation
(3) contain the certificate of preparation by a Maryland Attorney or one of the parties named in the instrument
(4) have check payable to the Clerk of Circuit Court for the proper amount of recording fees, state recordation tax and transfer tax
(5) contain a certificate of residency and/or an affidavit of total payment amount and a separate check for the exact amount of the Non-Resident Withholding Tax made payable to the Clerk of Circuit Court. (You may obtain information on the certification of residency and/or total payment of Non-Resident Withholding tax by calling 1-800-638-2937 or on the Comptroller's website at www.marylandtaxes.com.
(6) reviewed and stamped by the Treasurer of Calvert County prior to presenting to the Clerk's Office for recording. They are located in the Courthouse, 175 Main Street, Prince Frederick, MD 20678. 410-535-1600 ext 2272
(7) signed by the grantors and acknowledged before a Notary Public
(8) contain the legal description of the property, including the property tax ID
(9) Deeds meeting the prerequisites for recording may be presented to the Clerk of the Circuit Court, 175 Main Street, Prince Frederick, MD 20678. DEEDS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED BY MAIL TO THE CLERK OF CIRCUIT COURT UNLESS THE PREREQUISITES TO RECORDING HAVE BEEN MET.
There was an increase to the Surcharge Fee effective on all applicable documents executed July 1, 2011 and later. The surcharge increased from $20 to $40.
$20.00 for any instrument (except a release) nine (9) pages or less in length or if it involves solely a principal residence
$75.00 for any instrument (except a release) ten (10) pages or more in length
$10.00 for a release nine (9) pages or less in length
$40.00 for all documents including financing statements recorded in land records except notices of sale, powers of attorney and plats. The surcharge increased from $20 to $40 on applicable documents executed July 1, 2011 and later.
Taxes, if applicable
Taxes are based on the actual consideration to be paid including the amount of any mortgage or deed of trust assumed by the grantee. A statement of the amount of actual consideration shall either be included in every taxable instrument offered for record as part of its recitals or as part of the acknowledgment, or be contained in a separate affidavit accompanying the instrument. The affidavit is to be signed under the penalties of perjury by a party to the instrument or the agent of such party. If you are claiming an exemption to taxes, you must cite the specific exemption code on your document. If the document is missing the code, full taxes will be charged.
State Recordation Taxes, if applicable:
$5.00 per each $500.00 of consideration, round up to the nearest $500.00. If you are claiming an exemption to taxes, you must cite the specific exemption code on your document. If the document is missing the code, full taxes will be charged.
State Transfer Taxes:
.5 of 1% of the consideration. If you are claiming an exemption to taxes, you must cite the specific exemption code on your document. If the document is missing the code, full taxes will be charged.
There is a .25% state transfer tax rate for first-time Maryland home buyers purchasing a principal place of residence. If there are multiple grantees on the deed, all must be either first-time Maryland home buyers acquiring their principal residence or persons joining in the deed and purchase money deed of trust as co-makers or guarantors. To qualify for this exemption, each grantee must provide a statement under oath, signed by the grantee stating that the grantee is a first-time Maryland home buyer who will occupy the residence as a principal residence or is a co-maker or guarantor of the purchase money mortgage/deed of trust who will not occupy the residence as a principal residence. The State Transfer Tax on such a deed is payable by the seller and may not be shifted to the purchaser.
County Transfer Tax:
There is no County Transfer Tax in Calvert County
Other Recording Fees:
$15.00 for a notice of sale
$20.00 for minor subdivision plats
$5.00 for subdivision plats
$50.00 for homeowner depository records - initial filing
$5.00 per page up to a maximum of $25.00 - homeowner depository amendments
The Department of Assessment and Taxation has useful information available to the general public.PLEASE CONTACT AN ATTORNEY WITH LEGAL QUESTIONS.