There are several Types of licenses issued from the Clerk of Circuit Court for St. Mary's County, on behalf of the Comptroller of Maryland. The Clerk's Office can assist with questions you may have regarding any licenses we issue or for any procedural information you may need.
HOWEVER, we cannot provide any legal advice or be responsible for determining the type of license you should purchase.
Before a NEW business license can be issued, please make sure you have contacted Land Use & Growth Management (formerly Planning & Zoning) at 301-475-4200 ext. 1500 to obtain a Use & Occupancy permit. Bring a copy of the permit with you when you visit our office to begin the licensing process.
The Following Information Will be Needed During the License Process
- Type of license for which you are applying
- Owner's Name (Individual, Corporation, etc.)
- Location address
- Mailing address (if different from location)
- Social Security Number or Federal Tax ID Number
- Workman's Compensation policy number or Certificate of Compliance if you have employees
Each business license application is unique and may have different steps that need to be completed before the license can be issued. The following are other offices that may need to give approval signatures on your application; the Clerk's Office will identify which, if any, you may need to visit as part of the process.
Assessments and Taxation - 301-880-2900 - Located in the Joseph Carter Building across from the St. Mary's County Governmental Center
Treasurer's Office - 301-475-4472 - Located at 23150 Leonard Hall Drive in the Annex
Payment is due at the time of the issuance of the license. The Clerk's Office accepts cash or checks only.
Other links that may be helpful are:
- Business License Information System (BLIS) includes startup information and an alphabetized list of all State licenses and permits
- Comptroller of Maryland - Business Information and Services (includes business license tips, frequently asked questions, employer withholding information, tax registration)