Many businesses must be licensed through the office of the Clerk of Circuit Court. Whether a business must obtain a license from the Clerk depends upon the nature of the business, and can sometimes be a complex question. If you are considering opening a business in Washington County, or have questions about the licensing requirements for your existing business, please contact the Circuit Court Clerk's Office at (301) 790-7991 to determine what, if any, license you need to obtain from us.
The licenses issued by this office are:
- Construction (does not cover home improvement work)
- Garages (storage of motor vehicles)
- Junk Dealers and Scrap Metal Processors
- Laundries and Dry Cleaners
Motor Vehicle Peddler
- Storage Warehouse
- Tobacco Sales:
Other Tobacco Products
- Traders and Chain Stores (includes retail and wholesale)
- Vending Machines
Zoning Requirements !!!
Before investing time and money in the facility where you plan to open your business, or in obtaining a business license for your planned location, we suggest you contact either the Washington County Zoning Office or, if your business will be located within the boundaries of one of the County’s nine incorporated towns, the zoning office of the town, to ensure the property is zoned appropriately for your intended use and to learn of any specific zoning restrictions that may apply to the property.
More Information on Licenses
For more information on business licenses and opening a Maryland business, please visit the following sites:
- Business License Information System (includes startup information and an alphabetized list of all State licenses and permits).
- Comptroller of Maryland - Business Information and Services (includes business license tips, frequently asked questions, employer withholding information, tax registration).