Maryland Courts

Historic Courthouse

Drawing of Courthouse circa 1785

The first courthouse was constructed soon after Hagerstown was chosen as the county seat. The town market was held in the first floor while the second floor was used as a courtroom and for miscellaneous government functions.

For more historical information on the Washington County Courthouse, see excerpts from The First Two Centuries of the Washington County Courthouse, published in 1975.