Marriage License Information
Obtaining a License
- At least one of the parties to be married must appear to make application. In Cecil County, both parties must appear. If neither party is a resident of the county, application may be made by mail. See Non-Resident Application below for more information.
- The license is valid only in the county in which it was issued (The ceremony must be performed in the same county in which the license was issued)
- A license is not effective until 6:00 a.m. on the second calendar day after the license is issued. (Example: License issued October 18th takes effect at 6:00 a.m. on October 20th)
- The license is issued the same day you apply, and is valid for 6 months (you must be married within 6 months or the license will expire)
What must be provided at time of application for license:
- Fee of $35.00 in Wicomico County
- The following information is required for each party:
- Full Name
- Current Street Address
- State of Birth (Country if born outside United States)
- Social Security Number
- Marital status (Single, Divorced, Widow or Widower)
- If either party has been married before, the county, state, and date of each divorce or death of spouse
- Whether the parties are related by either blood or marriage
If neither party to be married is a resident of the county in which the ceremony will take place, Maryland law allows application for a marriage license to be made by mail as follows:
Take the Non-Resident Affidavit form to the Clerk of Court or comparable official in the county in which you reside. Complete the form in the presence of that official, have that official sign at the appropriate place, and mail the form with a money order or cashier’s check in the appropriate amount ($35.00 in Wicomico County), payable to Clerk of Court, to the Clerk of Circuit Court for the county in which you plan to be married. Comparable officials would include: Clerk of a Court; Recorder of Deeds; Prothonotary. A Notary Public is not a comparable official.
Note that this provision is a Maryland law. Clerks of Court in Maryland Counties will provide this service. Officials in other states, however, are not bound by Maryland law. Therefore, clerks of court or other officials in other states may not provide this service. Check with the official well in advance of your wedding date to be sure. If no comparable official will provide the service, one of the parties (both parties in Cecil County) will have to travel to Maryland to make application in person.
Marriage of Minors (under age 18)
- 16 or 17 years old must have the consent of a parent or guardian (parent or guardian must be with the minor at the time of application) OR have a certificate from a licensed physician on the physician's letterhead stating that the physician has examined the woman to be married and found that she is pregnant or has given birth to a child. The certificate must be signed by the physician. (Certificates signed by midwives or nurses are not sufficient.)
- 15 years old must have the consent of a parent or guardian (parent or guardian must be with the minor at the time of application) AND have a certificate from a licensed physician on the physician’s letterhead stating that the physician has examined the woman to be married and found that she is pregnant or has given birth to a child. The certificate must be signed by the physician. (Certificates signed by midwives or nurses are not sufficient.)
- 14 years and younger may not marry in Maryland.
Civil Ceremonies Performed by the Clerk
- There is a $25.00 fee paid at the time of the ceremony
- Appointment necessary, call 410-543-1427 to schedule
- Marriage hours: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday, except holidays
- Location - The ceremony will be performed in the Court House
Certified copies may be obtained from the Marriage License Department. You may also request a certified copy by mail. Mail your request to the Clerk of the Circuit Court, P.O. Box 198 Salisbury, MD 21803-0198. Please include in your request:
- Names of Parties
- Date of Marriage (Approximate year at minimum)
- A check or money order in the amount of $5.50 for the certified copy requested, payable to the Clerk of the Court.
For further information on obtaining a marriage license or questions about civil ceremonies, please call 410-543-1427.