Maryland Courts

Business License Information

To obtain a license, you must first determine what type of license you need, if any. The Clerk’s Office issues several types of licenses on behalf of the Comptroller of Maryland and the Cecil County Government. The Clerk’s Office will be happy to provide information regarding any of the licenses we issue and to assist with any of your procedural questions. Contact us at 410-996-5380 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. However, we cannot provide any legal advice or be responsible for determining the type of license you should purchase.

You can quickly obtain access to information on the permits and licenses you may need to start, relocate, or expand a business in Maryland by using the following links:

  • Business License Information System (includes startup information and an alphabetized list of all State licenses and permits)
  • Comptroller of Maryland - Business Information and Services (includes business license tips, frequently asked questions, employer withholding information, tax registration)

If you determine that you need a license that is issued by the Clerk of the Circuit Court, you will need to appear in person to process the business license application. Currently applications are processed only in an e-license format by presenting the information in person and are not available on-line or by mail. Our office is located at the Cecil County Courthouse, 129 East Main Street, Elkton, Maryland 21921.

The Following Information Will be Required

  • Type of license for which you are applying
  • Owner’s name (Individual, Corporation, etc.)
  • Corporation ID (if a Corporation)
  • Location Address
  • Mailing address
  • Social Security Number or Federal Tax Identification Number
  • Phone Number
  • Workman’s Compensation Policy Number or Certificate of Compliance Corporate ID Number (if applicable)
  • If applying for a traders license, you must have a sales and use tax number.

A traders license fee is based on the wholesale value of your retail inventory.

Any person or business must obtain a Construction License if they are building new homes or commercial construction. This license ONLY covers new or commercial construction. A contractor who holds a license under the Maryland Home Improvement Law is not required to hold a construction license issued by the Clerk of the Circuit Courts Office.

The license year runs from May 1st through April 30th of the following year. Costs of the license depends on the type of business and may be paid by check or cash only.