Marriage License Information
Applications are received and Licenses issued, only during regular office hours. Monday thru Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., except holidays.
- Both parties must appear to make application
- If you apply in Cecil County you must be married in Cecil County
- There is a $30.00 fee (fee varies from County to County). Cash, Check, Visa and Mastercard are acceptable forms of payment.
- A license is not effective until 6:00 a.m. on the second calendar day after the license is issued.
- The license is issued the same day you apply, and it is valid for 6 months (you must be married within 6 months or the license will expire)
Information you will need to apply:
- Photo Identification
- Full names
- Physical, Permanent Address
Other information needed:
- State of Birth
- Social Security Number
- If you have ever been married before we need to know the County, State, Month, Day, and Year for the last divorce or death of spouse with appropriate support documents.
- Whether the parties are related by blood or marriage
Marriage of Minors (under age 18)
- 16 or 17 years old must have the consent of a parent or guardian (Parent or guardian must be with the minor at the time of the application) or have a certificate from a licensed physician or physician's letterhead stating that the physician has examined the women to be married (not just a blood test) and note the date of delivery or expected date of delivery, and it must be signed by the doctor. You also must provide original state birth certificate and photo id.
- 15 years old must have the consent of a parent or guardian (parent or guardian must be with the minor at the time of the application) and have a certificate from a licensed physician on his letterhead stating the physician has examined the woman to be married (not just a blood test) and found that she is pregnant or has given birth; the expected date of delivery or the date child was delivered; and must be signed by him. Original state birth certificate and photo id must also be provided.
- 14 years and younger may not marry.
Civil Ceremonies Performed by the Clerk
- There is a $30.00 fee due at the time of the ceremony. Cash, Check, Visa and Mastercard are acceptable forms of payment.
- No appointment necessary
- Location - The ceremony will be performed in the Clerk’s Office Ceremony Room.
Certified copies may be obtained from the Marriage License Department. You may also request a certified copy by mail. Mail your request to the Clerk of the Circuit Court, 129 East Main Street, Elkton, Maryland 21921. Please include in your request:
- Names of individuals at the time they were married
- Date of Marriage (Approximate year at minimum)
- A check or money order payable to Clerk of the Court in the amount of $6.00 for each certified copy requested, for marriages before January 1, 2000 and $5.50 for each certified copy request for marriages after January 1, 2000 and a self-addressed stamped envelope.
For further information on obtaining a marriage license or questions about civil ceremonies, please call 410-996-5376.