Marriage License Information
Applications are received and Licenses issued, only during regular office hours. Monday thru Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., except holidays.
- Both parties must appear to make application
- If you apply in Cecil County you must be married in Cecil County
- There is a $30.00 fee (fee varies from County to County). Cash, Visa and Mastercard are acceptable forms of payment.
- A license is not effective until 6:00 a.m. on the second calendar day after the license is issued.
- The license is issued the same day you apply, and it is valid for 6 months (you must be married within 6 months or the license will expire)
Information you will need to apply:
- Photo Identification
- Full names
- Physical, Permanent Address
Other information needed:
- State of Birth
- Social Security Number
- If you have ever been married before we need to know the County, State, Month, Day, and Year for every divorce or death of spouse. If divorced or widowed in the last year, a copy of the divorce decree or death certificate should be presented.
- Whether the parties are related by blood or marriage
Marriage of Minors (under age 18)
- 16 or 17 years old must have the consent of a parent or guardian (Parent or guardian must be with the minor at the time of the application) or have a certificate from a licensed physician or physician's letterhead stating that the physician has examined the woman to be married (not just a blood test) and note the date of delivery or expected date of delivery, and it must be signed by the doctor. You also must provide original state birth certificate and photo id.
- 15 years old must have the consent of a parent or guardian (parent or guardian must be with the minor at the time of the application) and have a certificate from a licensed physician on his letterhead stating the physician has examined the woman to be married (not just a blood test) and found that she is pregnant or has given birth; the expected date of delivery or the date child was delivered; and must be signed by him. Original state birth certificate and photo id must also be provided.
- 14 years and younger may not marry.
Civil Ceremonies Performed by the Clerk
- There is a $30.00 fee due at the time of the ceremony. Cash, Visa and Mastercard are acceptable forms of payment.
- Ceremonies must be scheduled in advance. To schedule a civil ceremony at the courthouse, please call 410-996-5376.
- Location - The ceremony will be performed in the Clerk’s Office Ceremony Room.
Certified copies may be obtained from the Licensing Department in person, mail, email, or fax. Cost for certified copies are $5.50 each. Add $2.00 mail handling fee per request. Please complete the Request for Certified Copy of Marriage License. Acceptable forms of payments are cash, money order or credit card (Visa or Mastercard)
In person requests are taken at Clerk of the Circuit Court, 129 East Main Street, Room 108, Elkton, Maryland 21921.
Mail requests are sent to the Clerk of the Circuit Court for Cecil County, Attn: Licensing Department, 129 E. Main Street, Elkton, MD 21921
Email requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fax requests to 1-800-880-9509
Information needed for all requests:
- Names of individuals at the time they were married
- Date of Marriage (Approximate year at minimum)
- A check or money order payable to Clerk of the Court or credit card information and authorization (cost of certified copies $5.50 each plus $2.00 mail handling fee.
- Return address for mailing copies
Correction to a Marriage Record
Correction to Marriage Records must be requested in writing along with supporting documentation (for example: birth certificate to prove your name is spelled differently than what is shown on your marriage record). Please submit our Correction Request form and deliver or mail to our office at 129 East Main Street, Elkton, Maryland 21921.
Foreign License Recordation
If a couple has been married in another country and one of the parties is a citizen of Cecil County, Maryland, the couple may record the marriage (“Foreign marriage”) at the License Department. The parties must provide a certificate of marriage signed by the individual who performed the marriage or an official certified copy of the marriage record. If the certificate is not in English, a translated copy must be provided. There is no fee to record a foreign marriage.
For further information on obtaining a marriage license or questions about civil ceremonies, please call 410-996-5376.