The following is a partial list of documents recorded with the Clerk for permanent retention:
- Land Records
- Mortgages and Deeds of Trust
- Releases of Mortgages and Deeds of Trust
- Land Contracts
- Plat Records
- Other Resources
In addition to records available at the Clerk's Office, the Maryland State Archives is the central repository for government records dating back to the founding of Maryland in 1634. For more information, see Historical Records.
Recording Hours 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
How to Record a Deed in Queen Anne’s County
Prior to presenting a deed for recording at the Clerk’s Office, all deeds must be reviewed and stamped by the Finance Office of Queen Anne’s County, located at 107 N. Liberty Street, Centreville, Maryland, 21617.
Any deed or document that effects a change of ownership must be accompanied by:
- A complete Intake Sheet.
- A copy of the complete deed and intake sheet for submission to the Department of Assessment and Taxation.
- A certificate of preparation by a Maryland Attorney or one of the parties named in the instrument.
- A check payable to the Clerk of the Circuit Court for Queen Anne’s County for the proper amount of recording fees, state recordation tax, and state and county transfer taxes. (See Costs.)
- A certificate of residency and/or an affidavit of total payment amount of the Non-Resident Withholding Tax made payable to the Clerk of the Circuit Court for Queen Anne’s County. You may obtain more information on the certificate of residency and/or total payment of Non-Resident Withholding tax by calling 1-800-638-2937 or on the Comptroller’s Web site. Also see the Withholding Forms.
- Names must be typed or printed above or below signatures.
Deeds will not be accepted unless all the prerequisites to recording have been met. Please refer to the Annotated Code of Maryland, Real Property §3-104: Prerequisites of recording for more information.
Note: All deeds and other recorded instruments are scanned, therefore they must conform to the following requirements: Any Deed or other instrument offered for recordation shall be printed in not less than eight-point type and in black letters and be on white paper of sufficient weight and thickness to be clearly readable. A page shall be no larger that 8 ½ inches wide by 14 inches long.
May include Recording Costs, Surcharges, and Taxes.
Annotated Code of Maryland, Real Property §3-601
- $10.00 for a release 9 pages or less in length
- $20.00 for any other instrument 9 pages or less in length or for an instrument regardless of length, involving solely a principal residence.
- $75.00 for any other instrument 10 pages or more in length.
- $15.00 for recording a Request for Notice of Sale
NOTE: Effective July 1, 2011, Queen Anne's County land record fees will increase. More information.
As of July 1, 2011, $40.00 for all instruments except: Notice of Sale, Power of Attorney, and Plats.
All taxes are collected by the Clerk of the Circuit Court for Queen Anne’s County. Please make checks payable to the same.
$4.95 per $500.00, round up to the nearest $500.00.
1/2 of 1% of the consideration or 1/4 of 1% of the consideration (payable entirely by the seller) for First Time Maryland Homebuyers who occupy the property as their principal residence. Grantees must sign a statement under oath confirming compliance with qualifications, however, a co-maker or guarantor will not be required to occupy the property.
1/2 of 1% of the consideration, or same as State rate (1/4 of 1%) if First Time Maryland Homebuyer.
You may obtain copies of records at .50 cents per page.
FOR LEGAL QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT AN ATTORNEY.
Plats are recorded in the Land Records Department. Please refer to the Annotated Code of Maryland, Real Property §3-108.1: Queen Anne’s County for more information regarding the recording of plats.
A person who is recording a plat shall deliver to the Clerk a set of 3 copies of each page of the plat at the time of recordation. Each plat shall be legible, be drawn to a stated scale, be 18 inches by 24 inches in size, including a one and one-half inch unused margin for binding along the left edge of the page; and be prepared in black ink on transparent mylar or by another process comparable to original quality that conforms to the archival standards established by the Maryland Hall of Records.
A plat consisting or more than 1 page shall include an index page that includes and delineates each area shown on all other pages. A person who is recording a plat shall submit, along with the plat, a written certificate that is signed by and name typed underneath (Refer to §18:187 Zoning and Subdivision Regulations in the Queen Anne’s County Code): a person authorized to certify subdivision approval under regulations concerning subdivisions adopted by the county or municipal corporation under Article 66B of the Code, and which states that: Subdivision approval has been given; or Subdivision approval is not required; or Each owner of the property, and which states that the plat does not require subdivision approval.
$12.50 for each Plat plus $12.50 Recording fee for each plat. Copies of recorded plats are $2.00 per plat.
Homeowner’s Association Disclosures
$50.00 for the initial filing. Copies at .50 cents per page. $5.00 per page up to $25.00 for amendments to documents.
The land records department records District Court liens, State Tax Liens, and Federal Tax Liens.
Please note that the Office of the Clerk is prohibited by law from rendering any legal advice and performing title searches.