For information on accommodations during COVID-19, please see the additional information here.

How do I get help with my disability?

What is a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA?)

A physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities of an individual. Examples of disabilities include:

  • Communication impairments
  • Mobility impairments
  • Speech and hearing impairments
  • Vision impairments
  • Learning or cognitive impairments

Who may request an accommodation?

A person with a disability who has business in a Maryland court. This includes litigants, lawyers, defendants, witnesses, potential jurors, and other members of the public using court services.

I have a court hearing. How do I request an accommodation?

Complete and submit to the court a Request for Accommodation for Person with Disability (form CC-DC-049). File your request with the court in which the case will be heard at least 30 days before your court date. If you cannot make a written request, notify the local court to make a request verbally to the ADA Coordinator.

How do I find the ADA Coordinator in my court?

Below, click to see a full list of ADA Coordinators including name, email and phone number.

See a full list of ADA Coordinators.

What if I have jury duty in a circuit court?

If you are a prospective juror with a disability and need an accommodation, contact the Jury Office in your court as soon as possible after receiving your Juror Summons. Follow the instructions on the Summons about requesting an accommodation. You can click below to find the phone number to the Jury Office in your county.

See a full list of Jury Offices.

If my request is denied, how do I file a grievance?

Submit a Maryland Judiciary ADA Grievance Form (form CC-DC-050) as soon as possible, but no later than 120 days after the denial.  Notify Fair Practices if you need alternative means of filing a complaint (such as a personal interview or tape recording). See the ADA Grievance Procedure for additional information.

Last updated: November 2019