Obtaining a Marriage License
Application can be made at the office of the Clerk of Circuit Court, during regular office hours, Monday thru Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Either party must apply in person, of course both parties are welcome! Please have picture ID available.
The application must be obtained in the county where the marriage is to be performed.
If it is not convenient to visit the Clerk's Office in the county where the marriage is to take place, you may apply for a license using a Non-Resident Marriage License Application-Affidavit (fillable PDF form).
The Application Will be Taken Under Oath and Will Include the Following Information
- Full name of each party
- Place of residence of each party
- Age of each party
- Whether the parties are related by blood or marriage and, if so, in which degree of relationship
- The Social Security number of each party who has a Social Security number
- The marital status of each party; and whether either party was married previously, and the date and place of EACH death or judicial determination that ended any former marriage (Bring divorce decrees, death certificate or court orders for ALL previous marriages)
The applicant(s) must sign the application. A $35.00 license fee will be collected at the time of application. The fee must be paid by either CASH or MONEY ORDER.
After the application process has been completed, the marriage license will be issued, however, the license will not become effective to use until 6:00 am 2 calendar days later. The license must be used within 6 months of the effective date.
An Individual 16 or 17 Years Old May Not Marry Unless
- The individual has the consent of a parent or guardian and the parent or guardian swears that the individual is at least 16 years old; or
- If the individual does not have the consent of a parent or guardian, either party to be married gives the clerk a certificate from a licensed physician stating that the physician has examined the woman to be married and has found that she is pregnant or has given birth to a child.
An Individual 15 Years Old May Not Marry Unless
- The individual has the consent of a parent or guardian; and
- Either party to be married gives the clerk a certificate from a licensed physician stating that the physician has examined the woman to be married and has found that she is pregnant or has given birth to a child.
An individual under the age of 15 may not marry.
Are performed Monday thru Friday between 2:00 - 3:00 pm at the St. Mary's County Circuit Courthouse. The fee is $25.00 payable by either CASH or MONEY ORDER prior to the ceremony being performed. An appointment can be obtained by calling the Clerk's Office at 301-475-7844 ext. 74586 or 74579. Or you may make your appointment the day you come in to apply for your marriage license. You are welcome to have guests attend, if you wish.