Last Updated: Thursday, September 8, 2021
The spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to impact the daily operation of the Maryland Judiciary. Maryland’s courts are now in Phase V of the progressive reopening plan. Visit the local court page for the latest information on hours of operation BEFORE arriving to court.
PLEASE NOTE: On Monday, April 26, 2021, the Maryland Judiciary began Phase V of the its COVID-19 five-phased progressive resumption of operations plan. During Phase V courts have resumed full operations, including jury trials. During Phase V courts continue to require social distancing and health measures.
The Court of Appeals and Court of Special Appeals continue to be fully operational in Phase V, with both appellate courts hearing all matters within their jurisdiction. Oral arguments scheduled in the Court of Appeals and the Court of Special Appeals will be heard remotely, pending any further orders of the chief judges of the two appellate courts for the resumption of in-person arguments.
Phase V of the Judiciary’s phased resumption of operations will be implemented as outlined in the Third Amended Administrative Order Expanding Statewide Judiciary Operations In Light of the COVID-19 Emergency. In addition, per the Ninth Administrative Order Clarifying COVID-19 Health Measures in Courthouses and Judicial Branch Facilities, masks are required to be worn by all (except children aged 2 and under), regardless of vaccination status, in state courthouses and judicial facilities located in any Maryland county, or Baltimore City, where there is a COVID-19 community transmission rating by the CDC of “substantial” or “high” on any day after August 6, 2021. Additionally, masks shall be required in state courthouses and judicial facilities for a fourteen-day stabilization period upon a return from “high” or “substantial” to “moderate” or “low” transmission levels.
The Judiciary is closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation and evaluating its ongoing response to this public health emergency. Some courts will continue using technology for remote proceedings, either by video or telephone, but please note that this will vary by court location. The general public, members of the media, and attorneys should reference the COVID-19 webpages for the latest information on individual court operations. Court closings related to coronavirus.
Additionally, the courts are requiring any individual, including employees, seeking access to a courthouse or court office location to:
- Answer a set of screening questions;
- Be subject to temperature checks;
- Wear a facial covering or mask; and
- Practice social distancing.
The Maryland courts started implementing the reopening plan on June 5, 2020.
Additional Court Information
- Communication Regarding New Legislation Affecting Failure to Pay Rent Cases in Landlord/Tenant Actions (September 8, 2021)
- Communication Regarding the CDC Agency Order and Landlord/Tenant Actions (August 27, 2021)
- District Court Initial Screening Questionnaire - Español (August 18, 2021)
- Communication Regarding the CDC Agency Order and Landlord/Tenant Actions (August 4, 2021)
- Communication Regarding the CDC Agency Order and Landlord/Tenant Actions (June 30, 2021)
- Communication Regarding the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) Interim Final Rule Involving the CDC Agency Order and Failure to Pay Rent Landlord Tenant Actions (April 30, 2021)
- Phase V – Full Operations | A Message from the Chief Judge (April 23, 2021)
- Communication on CDC Agency Order and Landlord Tenant Actions (March 30, 2021)
- Fourth Revised Communication Regarding Affidavit Judgments in the District Court (March 12, 2021)
- Communication Regarding District Court Restricted Operations and Landlord/Tenant Actions During Return to Phase IV (February 26, 2021)
- Updated Communication Regarding the Recently Enacted Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 (January 29, 2021)
- Updated Communication Regarding District Court Restricted Operations and Landlord/Tenant Actions During Phase II (January 29, 2021)
- Communication Regarding the Recently Enacted Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 (December 30, 2020)
- Third Revised Communication Regarding Affidavit Judgments in the District Court (December 4, 2020)
- Communication Regarding Landlord Tenant Issues Return to Phase II (December 2, 2020)
- Return to Phase II: Message from Chief Judge Mary Ellen Barbera (December 1, 2020)
- Communication Regarding Landlord Tenant Issues Return to Phase III (November 13, 2020)
- Phase V: Message from Chief Judge Mary Ellen Barbera (September 29, 2020)
- Communication Regarding Landlord Tenant Actions Phase IV (September 4, 2020)
- Phase IV: Message from Chief Judge Mary Ellen Barbera (August 25, 2020)
- Conference of Circuit Judges Work Group on the Resumption of Jury Operations in Circuit Courts (August 3, 2020)
- Communication Regarding Landlord Tenant Actions Phase III (July 17, 2020)
- WBAL-TV 11 shows how Maryland’s courts are prepared to safely welcome the public back during Phase 3 of reopening plan (July 16, 2020)
- A MESSAGE FROM THE CHIEF JUDGE: Maryland courts prepare to enter Phase III (July 13, 2020)
- Communication Regarding Landlord Tenant Actions in District Court (June 11, 2020)
- New Video: A Reminder for Court Visitors During COVID-19 (June 3, 2020)
- Revised Communication Regarding Affidavit Judgments in the District Court (July 10, 2020)
- A MESSAGE FROM THE CHIEF JUDGE: Maryland courts prepare to reopen. (May 18, 2020)
- Revised policy on Interim Orders during the emergency (May 5, 2020)
- Statement from the Maryland Judiciary Concerning Guardianships of Adults and Minors - Español | Français | Русский | 한국어 | 中文 (May 4, 2020)
- Communication Regarding Moratorium on Evictions under the Federal “Cares Act” (May 1, 2020)
- New Video: Court resources and tools for the public during COVID-19 (April 23, 2020)
- Statement from the Maryland Judiciary on Matters Concerning Children & Families - Español | Français | Русский | 한국어 | 中文 (March 27, 2020)
- Suspension During the COVID-19 Emergency of Foreclosures, Evictions, and Other Ejectments Involving Residences (effective March 25, 2020)
- COVID-19 Update: A message from Chief Judge Barbera to the legal community. (March 23, 2020)
- Information on District Court Screening Procedures (effective March 23, 2020)
Additional Information and Resources