Mediation can help you resolve conflicts and can be custom designed to serve all participants’ needs. Mediation may also help you and the other person(s) understand each other’s points of view. There are several ways to find a mediator:
The Maryland Program for Mediator Excellence (MPME), has an online searchable mediator directory that can be used to search for mediators by county, dispute category, and by mediator name. To start your search, click here.
Your Local Circuit Court
Most circuit courts in Maryland have approved mediator lists for cases appropriate for mediation. Contact the Clerk’s Office at your nearest circuit court location to review the list and application materials of approved mediators.
Your Local District Court
The District Court of Maryland offers a Day of Trial Civil ADR Program. This program offers mediation and settlement conference services to litigants on their day of trial. To learn more, click here.
Maryland is home to eighteen community mediation centers serving nearly every county in Maryland. These programs provide free or low-cost mediation services at the neighborhood level. To find a community mediation center in your area visit https://mdmediation.org/need-mediation/.
- Has the mediator or mediation program handled disputes similar to yours, and if so, what were the results?
- Has the mediator taken any specialized training that fits your area of concern?
- How many cases have they mediated?
- How many hours of mediation have they conducted?
- Would they give you a few references—names of past clients who have used their services?
- Describe your mediation process — what does it look like?
Mediation is being used more and more as a means of resolving disputes. One of our goals is to make sure people in Maryland have quality mediation experiences. We hope that by asking some of the questions listed above, you will be able to find a mediator that suits your needs. Good luck to you in using mediation to resolve your dispute. If you need further assistance, call us at 410-260-3540.