Rich in the tradition and history of Maryland, the Office of the Circuit Court is one of the oldest public institutions in the State. The Clerk of Court is a locally elected State official with responsibilities established and regulated by the laws of Maryland and Rules of the Supreme Court of Maryland. Since 1658, the Office of the Clerk of Court has provided the citizens of Maryland with a variety of essential services. The revenue collected by the clerks for these services is distributed to city, county, and state governments.
The following is a partial list of the types of cases filed and processed by the Office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court:
(410) 535-1600 ext. 2268 or 2404 or (888) 535-0113
- With certain exceptions, matters which involve a claim for damages in excess of $30,000 are filed with the Circuit Court. In general, concurrent jurisdiction is shared with the District Court in matters which involve a claim for an amount between $5,000 and $30,000.
- Judicial Review of Administrative Agency Decisions
- Appeals from the District Court
- Matters which involve domestic relations, child support, titles to property, foreclosures, mechanics liens and injunctions
- Adoption and Paternity Matters
- Name changes
(410) 535-1600 ext. 2266 or (888) 535-0113
- Felony and certain misdemeanor charges filed by the Grand Jury or the State's Attorney
- Appeals from the District Court and requests for jury trials
(410) 535-1600 ext. 2237 or (888) 535-0113
- Juvenile cases may include any matter brought before the Court which involve persons under the age of eighteen years.
Liens and Judgments
(410) 535-1600 ext. 2268
Liens and judgments including encumbrances, Federal tax liens, hospital liens, Maryland tax liens, District Court liens, civil judgments, and United States District Court judgments are recorded in the Office of the Clerk.
(410) 535-1600 ext. 2632
- Citizens are selected randomly for service on grand and petit juries in the manner prescribed by the Supreme Court of Maryland. Jury trials are available only in the Circuit Courts of Maryland.
(410) 535-1600 ext. 2269 or (888) 535-0113
The following is a partial list of documents recorded with the Clerk for permanent retention:
- Mortgages and Deeds of Trust
- Releases of Mortgages and Deeds of Trust
- Land Contracts
(410) 535-1600 ext. 2264
(410) 535-1600 ext. 2264
- Financing Statements
- Military Discharges
- Marriage Licenses
- Civil Marriages
- Business Licenses
- Public Official Commissions - The Oaths of Office for elected and appointed local officials, as well as officials appointed by the Governor for certain boards and commissions, are administered by the Clerk.
- Notary Public Commissions - An application for a notary public commission can be obtained by contacting the Clerk. Upon approval of this application, notary public commissions are issued by the Clerk.
The records maintained by the Office of the Clerk of Court are available to the public for review. However, the records of juvenile or adoption cases can be accessed only through an order of the Court.