- If you apply in Carroll County you must be married in Carroll County.
- Only one party need be present to apply.
- There is a $35.00 fee for the issuance of the license.
- A license is not effective until 6:00 a.m. on the second calendar day after the license is issued, unless otherwise specified on the license.
- The license is issued the same day you apply, and it is valid for 6 months (you must be married within 6 months or the license will expire).
- If it is not convenient to visit the Clerk's Office in the county where the marriage is to take place, you may apply for a license using a Non-Resident Marriage License Application-Affidavit form (fillable PDF).
Information needed from both parties to apply
- Full Names
- Physical, Permanent Address
- State of Birth
- Social Security Number (mandatory)
- If you have been married before, we need to know the place and date of each divorce or death of a spouse. Supporting documents may be needed if less than thirty (30) days since the divorce or death.
Marriage of Minors (under age 18)
- 16 or 17 years old may not marry unless the individual has the consent of a parent or guardian and the parent or guardian swears that the individual is at least 16 years old OR if the individual does not have the consent of a parent or guardian, either party gives the clerk a certificate from a licensed physician or certified nurse practitioner stating that the physician or nurse practitioner has examined the woman to be married and found that she is pregnant or has given birth to a child.
- 15 years old may not marry unless the individual has the consent of a parent or guardian AND either party gives the clerk a certificate from a licensed physician or certified nurse practitioner stating that the physician or nurse practitioner has examined the woman to be married and found that she is pregnant or has given birth to a child.
- An individual under the age of 15 may not marry.
Civil Ceremonies Performed by the Clerk
- There is a $25.00 fee paid at the time of the ceremony
- Appointments are preferred
- Marriage hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday thru Friday, except holidays
- Location - The ceremony will be performed on the Court House grounds.
- If more information is needed, please call 410-386-8710 .
Copies of Marriage Records
Certified copies and/or plain copies may be obtained either in person or by mail. To obtain copies of Carroll County marriage records by mail, send your written request to Clerk of the Circuit Court, 55 N. Court Street, Room G-29, Westminster, MD 21157.
Fees for copies of marriage records are:
- $5.50 for each certified copy requested;
- $ .50 for each plain (not certified) copy requested;
Use this request form, or write a request including:
- Names of both parties (Names must be those used at the time of application for the marriage license in question, not those used after the marriage)
- Date of Marriage (Approximate year at minimum)
- A check or money order in the appropriate amount payable to "Clerk of Circuit Court."