Welcome to the Clerk’s Office
of the Carroll County Circuit Court, Maryland
July 20, 2020 Carroll County Clerk’s Office Reopening Plan
All Clerk’s Office customers:
- are expected to call one of the numbers below to schedule an appointment.
- Land Records & Licensing Department: 410-386-8760
(Business Licenses, Marriage Licenses, Notary, Civil Wedding Ceremonies, Public Office or Governor Appointment Oaths, & Land Records customers)
- All other customers: 410-386-8720
- Land Records & Licensing Department: 410-386-8760
- are required to provide a call back number and email to staff.
- are expected to call the office upon arrival for their appointment and wait in their vehicle or outside the building for further instruction from staff.
- should expect to be helped over the phone as much as possible.
- are encouraged to e-file, use the Clerk’s Office Drop Box in front of the Circuit Court Annex or mail in filings to limit the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
- can pay with check or money order payable to: Heather S. DeWees, Clerk
- can obtain a date stamped copy of a filing that is mailed or placed in the Clerk’s Office Drop Box by providing an additional copy or copies of the filing, instructions and a self-addressed stamped envelope.
- will be asked to come inside to the Clerk’s Office lobby only when necessary.
- will have their temperature checked by the bailiffs upon entry into the courthouse and will be asked COVID-19 screening questions. (Patrons can enter the courthouse if their temperature is 100.4 or lower.)
- are required to wear a face covering when inside the Circuit Courthouse and are encouraged to bring their own pen.
- are encouraged not to bring children to the courthouse. If customers must bring children, it is the customer’s responsibility to closely supervise them. (Children ages 2 and over must wear face coverings while inside the courthouse.)
All Land Records & Licensing customers:
- should call 410-386-8760 to schedule an appointment.
- must use the new outdoor courtyard window located at rear of the courthouse weather permitting.
- will not need to enter the courthouse unless requested to do so.
- must be COVID-19 symptom free and have a temperature of 100.4 or lower.
- will be asked COVID-19 screening questions.
- are required to have a face covering when using the outdoor window.
For the safety of our customers and our staff, one public computer terminal is available on the 2nd floor and one is available on the ground floor.
Public Computer Terminal Customers:
- are now limited to 30 minutes per customer.
- are expected to clean the public computer terminal after use.
- must call the appropriate department in advance for an appointment.
For the safety of the Circuit Court and the Clerk’s Office staff, walk-in customers to the Clerk’s Office will be required to call the office and schedule an appointment.
- must call 410-386-8760 for the Land Records & Licensing Department or call 410-386-8720 for all other matters upon arrival to the Circuit Court.
- will be given an appointment time for that day (subject to availability).
- must wait for an open appointment and provide a call back number & email.
- are expected to wait in their vehicle or outside the building until contacted.
Thank you for your understanding.
Self-represented individuals may MAIL filings to the Clerk’s Office at 55 North Court Street, Westminster, MD 21157 or place in the Clerk’s Office DROP BOX available at the Circuit Court Annex front entrance on North Court Street. For questions on Circuit Court cases or filings, please email: CarrollCircuitCourtClerksOffice@mdcourts.gov.
For questions regarding Maryland Land Recordings and Maryland Business Licenses, please email: LandRec.Carroll@mdcourts.gov.
For questions regarding Maryland Business Licenses issued in Carroll County, please email: email@example.com.
For additional questions, please call: 410-386-8710, or email Heather.DeWees@mdcourts.gov. Circuit Court Patrons can also visit the Maryland Judiciary’s website at www.mdcourts.gov/coronavirusinformationforpublic for additional information.
FREE Carroll County FAMILY LAW PUBLIC SEMINARS are NOW being offered LIVE and IN PERSON on the First Wednesday of each month. There is no income limitations for this seminar.
***Please register by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 410-386-2751. More information is available by clicking this link: Family Law Seminar
FREE Carroll County FAMILY LAW LEGAL ADVICE CLINICS are NOW offered to for those with a low income on the phone Wednesdays 1:00pm-4:00pm & Thursdays 9:00am-Noon.
***Call 410-386-2751 for this FREE limited legal advice opportunity. Clinics ONLY provide advice and do NOT provide court representation. They are first come first serve and subject to change due to availability of an attorney.
IMPORTANT LINKS FOR THE PUBLIC
- Carroll County Clerk’s Office Customer Resource Packet
- Carroll County Clerk’s Office Copy Request Form
- Carroll County Clerk’s Office Marriage Certificate Copy Request Form
- Carroll County Clerk’s Office Expungement Information
- Notice Regarding Notary Public Commissions Due to the COVID-19 Emergency
Rich in the tradition and history of Maryland, the Office of Clerk of the Circuit Court is one of the oldest public institutions in the state.
Welcome to the Carroll County Courthouse and the Office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court. The Office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court is a public institution of importance that dates back to the very beginning of the Province of Maryland in St. Mary’s County.
The Clerk provides invaluable service to both the Court and to the Maryland public. The Clerk of the Court was, and still is, responsible for recording the proceedings of the Court; for recording deeds, conveyances and other papers; and for preserving the records of the Court. Since 1777, the Clerk has been authorized to issue marriage licenses and other licenses required by law.
The Clerk’s responsibilities were clearly defined and delineated in the Maryland Constitution of 1867. As a prescribed and constituted commission of the State Government the Clerk eventually evolved from an appointed to an elected office. The Clerk is a locally elected State official who occupies an integral position within the Judicial Branch of Government.
The title of Clerk misrepresents the substantial responsibilities and prestige attached to this office within the judiciary. The Clerk’s office is responsible for a variety of functions often requiring involved processes prescribed by the law. The strict nature of the work demands the consistent accuracy and productivity of all employees in each assignment. Whether it is the recording of a deed, the docketing of a case or any of the multiple functions performed by the Clerk’s office, each activity directly affects individuals within the community.
The Clerk is ultimately responsible for the actions of all his or her employees, and is directly accountable to not only the judiciary but to the electorate for the performance of his or her office.
As you can see, the Office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court is a very busy place. I am very proud of the employees in my office and the work we do. I am also extremely proud and blessed to serve the citizens of Carroll County.
Please browse through the available links to the left for more information. If my office or I can be of more assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.
YOU ARE ALWAYS WELCOME IN THE CLERK’S OFFICE.
Heather S. DeWees, Clerk