NOTICE: Please note that Chapter 538 from the 2020 Session of the Maryland General Assembly provides that the current $40 surcharge on recordable instruments recorded among the land records and financing statement records will continue on and after July 1, 2020. For more information, see page 15 through 16 here.
The records maintained by the Clerk's Office are available to the public for review; however, juvenile and adoption case records can be accessed only through an order of the Court. Civil and criminal case information for most circuit courts is available online through Case Search.
The following is a partial list of the types of cases filed and processed by the Office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court:
- With certain exceptions, matters which involve a claim for damages in excess of $30,000 are filed with the Circuit Court. In general, concurrent jurisdiction is shared with the District Court in matters which involve a claim for an amount between $5,000 and $30,000.
- Judicial Review of Administrative Agency Decisions
- Appeals from the District Court
- Matters which involve domestic relations, titles to property, foreclosures, mechanics liens and injunctions
- Adoption and Paternity Matters
- Name changes
- Felony and certain misdemeanor charges filed by the Grand Jury or the State's Attorney
- Appeals from the District Court and requests for jury trials
- Juvenile cases may include any matter brought before the Court which involve persons under the age of eighteen years.
Liens and Judgments
- Liens and judgments including encumbrances, Federal tax liens, hospital liens, Maryland tax liens, District Court liens, civil judgments, and United States District Court judgments are recorded in the Office of the Clerk. Some or most of the case records are available on Case Search.
The following is a partial list of documents recorded with the Clerk for permanent retention:
- Mortgages and Deeds of Trust
- Releases of Mortgages and Deeds of Trust
- Land Contracts
Some or most of the land records are available on MDLANDREC.NETRefund of Tax and License Fees
If you believe that you erroneously paid tax and license fees, you may file a Claim for Refund of Tax and License Fees Erroneously Paid to the State of Maryland through the Clerks of Court.
PLATS.NET (Maryland Archives Plat Imaging Application - access can be granted with the username: plato and the password: plato#)
- Financing Statements (prior to July 1, 1995)
- Military Discharges
Please note that the Office of the Clerk is prohibited by Law from rendering any legal advice.