Many types of business licenses can be obtained from the Clerk of Circuit Court for Harford County. A traders license may be required if selling a product at the retail level, wholesale farm machinery, operate a restaurant, laundry, storage warehouse, garage, vending machines or certain types of gaming machines. Other businesses may require a license such as a foot or motor vehicle peddler that sells goods or a business that engages in commercial construction.
Persons Required to Obtain a Traders License
A person or business organization other than a grower, maker or manufacturer may not offer for sale, sell or otherwise dispose of any goods within Maryland, without first obtaining a Traders license from the Clerk of the Circuit Court.
The trader’s license fee is based on the wholesale value of the retail inventory.
Persons Required to Obtain a Construction License
A person or business entity acting as a general contractor, performing new construction or commercial construction must obtain a construction license.
A contractor or subcontractor who holds a license under the Maryland Home Improvement Commission is NOT required to hold a construction license issued by the Clerk of the Circuit Court.
The construction license fee is $17.00/year.
- Establish A Business Entity
Apply for a Sole Proprietorship or a business entity online at the Maryland Business Express website.
- Application and Issuance
Once the business entity has been established, the business license can be obtained from the Clerk of Court for Harford County.
- Online: Go to Maryland Business Licenses Online. The site provides the ability to apply for a new Harford County business license online as well as the ability to search the licensing system of the Maryland Judiciary for issued licenses.
- Mail or Fax: Download the Harford County Business License Worksheet form and the Declaration of Inventory form for a trader’s license. Mail the completed form(s) to Clerk of the Circuit Court for Harford County, Attn: Business License Department, 20 West Courtland Street, Bel Air, MD 21014, or fax to the Business License Department at 410-838-8540.
- In Person: Obtain at the Clerk of the Court for Harford County Business License Office, 7 W. Courtland Street, Bel Air, MD 21014 between the hours of 8:30 am - 3:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Not available during COVID-19 State of Emergency
Renewing a Harford County Business License During Covid-19 State of Emergency
- Make sure all agency holds are cleared.
- Sign the business license application.
- Renew through the mail by sending signed application, required documentation if applicable, and check made payable to Clerk of Court
- Renew by email: complete the credit card payment form and email along with a signed copy of the application, to the Harford County Clerk's Office customer inquiry mailbox at email@example.com
- Licenses will be mailed once payment, signed application and required documentation if applicable, are received.
License fees are payable by credit card, check or money order payable to the Clerk of the Circuit Court.
Contact the Clerk of Court for Harford County Licensing Office at 410-638-3248 for additional information.