Licensing Office Location
Licensing Department (across from the Circuit courthouse)
7 West Courtland Street
Bel Air, MD 21014
410-638-3489, 410-638-3586, or 410-638-3248
Office Hours – 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday thru Friday (except State Holidays)
- Business Licenses (new or renewal) are processed until 4pm.
How to Obtain a Harford County Business License
- Establish A Business Entity:
Apply for a Sole Proprietorship or a business entity online at the Maryland Business Express website.
- Application and Issuance:
Once the business entity has been established through the State Department of Assessment and Taxation (SDAT), the business license can be obtained from the Clerk of Court for Harford County.
- Online: Go to Maryland Business Licenses Online. The site provides the ability to apply for a new Harford County business licenses online as well as the ability to search the licensing system of the Maryland Judiciary for issued licenses.
- Mail, Email, or Fax: Download the Harford County Business License Worksheet form and the Declaration of Inventory form for a trader’s license.
- Submit the completed form(s):
- Via Mail to Clerk of the Circuit Court for Harford County, Attn: Business License Department, 20 West Courtland Street, Bel Air, MD 21014.
- Via Email to [email protected].
- Via Fax to the Business License Department at 410-838-8540
- Submit the completed form(s):
- Drop Box: A drop box is available Monday – Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm in the 20 W. Courtland Street Courthouse Entrance – place items in the Land Record mailbox.
- In Person: Obtain at the Business License Office, 7 W. Courtland Street, Bel Air MD 21014 between the hours of 8:30am – 4pm, Monday through Friday
Renewing a Harford County Business License
Make sure all agency holds are cleared.
- Sign the business license application.
- Renew through the mail by sending signed application, required documentation if applicable, and check made payable to Clerk of Court to 20 W. Courtland Street, Bel Air MD 21014
- Renew online: Go to Maryland Business Licenses Online. Click my licenses under the Edit/Renew License tile, click on the View my License tile. With all agencies cleared and the application being clerk approved, the license will show Pending ~ Awaiting Payment. Once the application is paid online, the Clerk’s Office will process the license and mail it to the business owner.
- In Person: Obtain at the Business License Office, 7 W. Courtland Street, Bel Air MD 21014 between the hours of 8:30am – 4pm, Monday through Friday.
Displaying a Business License
- It is important to display the business license, not the application, in plain view at your place of business, or carried with you in the event you are at a “show” or are a Peddler. Failure to do so may result in fines and/or penalties.
- If your business closes or moves out of Harford County and you no longer require our license, contact the licensing department so your account can be properly updated. Following this process will avoid delinquent notices and/or penalties.
Business License fees are payable by Visa, Mastercard, Discover, cash, check or money order payable to the Clerk of the Circuit Court.
Business license questions may be sent to [email protected].