The following information may only pertain to marriage license information for HARFORD COUNTY. You MUST contact the County/City location where you plan to marry or have been married for their specific requirements and information.
Marriage Applications during COVID-19 Closures
Although the Circuit Court reopened to the public, the Licensing Office at 7 West Courtland Street is closed until further notice and admittance to the main Circuit Court Building at 20 West Courtland Street is limited. Marriage applications by Skype are encouraged to limit contact, but walk-in applications will be taken at the main courthouse.
Completed applications may be mailed to the courthouse or emailed to email@example.com. Also, a drop box is available inside the exterior door at the 20 West Courtland Street entrance to the courthouse. The application and credit card payment form must be received before a Skype appointment is scheduled. Please follow the directions for completing the application, as original signatures are required.
Late Night on the first Monday of the month will resume October 5 at the Licensing Office. The Licensing Office will be open 4 pm to 6 pm.
Civil Ceremonies are not available at this time.
See https://mdcourts.gov/coronavirusupdate for more information on Maryland Judiciary Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates.
Licensing Department (across from the Circuit courthouse) (*CLOSED* - Main Courthouse Open)
7 West Courtland Street
Bel Air, MD 21014
Office Hours – 8:30am to 4:00pm
(Monday thru Friday) (Closed Weekends and State Holidays)
- Marriage License/Copies - 8:30am to 3:45pm
Additional Times - First Monday of each month until 6:00pm. (Late night resumes October 5, 2020 in the Licensing Office, at 7 West Courtland Street.)
- Civil Ceremonies (By Appointment only) (Not available until further notice)
How to Apply
- If you are being married in Harford County, you must apply in Harford County.
- Only one party needs to apply.
- There is a $50 non-refundable fee, payable by cash, check, money order, or credit card.
- You must apply at least 48 hours prior to the wedding ceremony.
- The license is issued the same day you apply, can only be used in Harford County, valid for 6 months (you must be married within 6 months or the license will be voided).
The marriage application work sheet is provided for your convenience. It is helpful if completed before applying for a marriage license and brought in for the application process.
- Valid identification (driver's license, passport or birth certificate)
- Full names
- Age at time of application (if under the age of 18 – Proof of age is required. See Marriage of Minors below)
- State/Country of Birth
- Social Security Number (mandatory)
- Previous Marriages – date for each divorce or death of spouse. If divorced within the last 6 months, a copy of the divorce decree must be presented.
If you are NOT a resident of Harford County but getting married in Harford County AND unable to apply for a Harford County marriage license in person, you may apply using a Non-Resident Marriage Application. **Not available during COVID-19 Emergency. See Marriage Applications during COVID-19 Closures above.
Marriage of Minors (under age 18)
- Proof of age - must be an original or certified copy of birth record or passport. (Driver’s License is not a valid proof of age.)
- 16 or 17 years old must present either a notarized written consent from the parent or legal guardian, or a certificate from a licensed physician or nurse practitioner. Certification from the physician or nurse practitioner must be written on his/her letterhead stating the physician or nurse practitioner has physically examined the woman to be married and positively determined she is pregnant or has given birth to a child. The certificate must be signed by the licensed physician or nurse practitioner. A nurse or assistant cannot sign the certificate. A birth certificate stating the woman has given birth to a child is sufficient.
- 15 years old must have a notarized written consent from the parent or legal guardian AND a certificate from a licensed physician or nurse practitioner. Certification from the physician or nurse practitioner must be written on his/her letterhead stating the physician or nurse practitioner has physically examined the woman to be married and positively determined she is pregnant or has given birth to a child. The certificate must be signed by the licensed physician or nurse practitioner. A nurse or assistant cannot sign the certificate. A birth certificate stating the woman has given birth to a child is sufficient.
- 14 years and younger may not marry.
- Valid identification for both parties to be married is required (driver's license or birth certificate or passport) providing full names, addresses and ages.
- Civil ceremonies are performed at the Ceremonial Room located at 7 W. Courtland Street, Bel Air, Maryland (across from the Circuit courthouse).
- There is a $25.00 non-refundable fee, payable by cash, money order, or credit cards before or at the time of the ceremony. (Wednesday Evening ceremonies – credit card payments only)
- Ceremonies must be scheduled in advance after application is made. Ceremonies will be performed between the hours of 9:00am to Noon and 1:00pm to 1:30pm. See below for additional times. To schedule a civil ceremony at the courthouse, please call 410-638-3489 or 410-638-3586. Guest limit of eight is strictly enforced. This number of guests includes the parties getting married and any children (regardless of age). Any additional guests will be asked to leave.
- Additional Times for Civil ceremonies – Third Wednesday of each month (Not available at this time)
- By Appointment only (To schedule call 410-638-3489 or 410-638-3586)
- Only accepting credit card payment for Ceremony fee
- Certified copies may not be available for 3 business days
- Marriage Record Correction - Correction to Marriage Records may be requested in writing along with supporting documentation (example - birth record). For convenience, a Correction Request Form can be completed and mailed to our office.
- Certified Copies – Only available for Harford County Marriage Records
- Certified copies may be requested in person, mail, email, fax or phone. Cost for certified copies are $5.50 each. Please complete the credit card payment form. Acceptable forms of payments are cash, check, money order or credit card (Visa, Mastercard or Discover).
- In person requests are taken at 7 W. Courtland Street, Bel Air, MD 21014 (across from the Circuit Courthouse).
- Email requests to firstname.lastname@example.org with the credit card payment form.
- Mail requests are sent to the Clerk of the Circuit Court for Harford County, Attn: Licensing Department, 20 W. Courtland Street, Bel Air, MD 21014.
- Fax requests to 410-836-7615.
- Phone requests should be directed to 410-638-3489 or 410-638-3474.
- Information needed for all requests:
- Names of both parties
- Date of Marriage
- Check or money order made payable to Clerk of the Circuit Court or credit card information and authorization (cost of certified copies $5.50 each).
- Return address for mailing copies