To obtain a license, you must first determine what type of license you need, if any. The Clerk's Office issues several types of licenses. The Clerk's Office will be happy to provide information regarding any of the licenses we issue and to assist with any of your procedural questions. Contact us at 410-758-1773, option 2. However, we cannot provide any legal advice or be responsible for determining the type of license you should purchase.
You can quickly obtain access to information on the permits and licenses you may need to start, relocate, or expand a business in Maryland by using the following links:
- Maryland Business Licenses Online
Search the licensing system of the Maryland Judiciary for issued licenses and apply, edit and renew your Maryland business licenses online.
- Start a Business (Maryland Department of Commerce)
Learn more about the process of starting a business - including licensing, resources, and FAQs.
- Comptroller of Maryland - Business Information and Services
Information on starting a new business in Maryland.
How to Apply
1) Complete the application by providing the following information to the Clerk:
- Type of license for which you are applying
- Owner's name (Individual, Corporation, etc.)
- Location address
- Mailing address
- Social Security Number or Federal Tax Identification Number
- SDAT Account Number
Business Personal Property Website: www.dat.maryland.gov
410-767-1170 (phone) 1-800-552-7724 (MD Relay) 1-888-246-5941 (toll free)
- Phone Number
- Worker's Compensation Policy Number or Certificate of Compliance Corporate ID Number and number of employees (if applicable)
- Amount of inventory, if applying for a Trader's License
2) The application must be signed by the Owner or a Corporate Officer.
3) Pay required license fees to the Clerk of the Circuit Court- cash, check (made payable to the Clerk of Court) and Visa, or MasterCard accepted. Only Visa and MasterCard are accepted for fees paid directly in the clerk’s office.
No Longer in Business -
If you are no longer in business, the following link will assist you in what you need to do to close your business.