Marriage License Information for Queen Anne's County


How to Apply for a License

Application may be made Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court. You must apply for a marriage license in the county in which you will have your wedding ceremony.

It is recommended that you contact the Circuit Court Clerk's Office in the county you plan to have your wedding as each county has different fees. The requirements for Queen Anne's County are as follows:

  • Only one of the parties needs to appear (if not using a non-resident affidavit).
  • The fee is $35.00, payable by cash, Visa/MasterCard, cashier's check or money order. The following information is to be provided for the Parties:
    • Full names (First, Middle, Last)
    • Place of residence
    • Age
    • State of Birth (Country if born outside United States)
    • Social Security Numbers (mandatory per Family Law article §2-402 (c)(1))
    • Marital Status (Single, Divorced, Widow or Widower)
    • If previously married:
      • the day, month, and year of the divorce and the state in which each divorce was granted
      • the day, month, and year of death of spouse if widowed
    • Whether or not the parties are related by blood or marriage, and if so, to what degree of the relationship

The license is issued at the same time the application is taken; however, the license is not effective until 6:00 a.m. on the second calendar day after the license is issued. (Example: a license issued on Thursday, cannot be used until after 6:00 a.m. on Saturday.) The marriage must take place within six months of the effective date.

You will be given three copies of the marriage license, which the official performing the ceremony will complete. Instructions for completion and distribution are on the copies of the license. For information on who may perform a ceremony, please see the following link:

The Clerk’s Office cannot provide any legal advice or interpret the law as to who may perform a marriage ceremony.

Civil Ceremonies

If you would like a civil ceremony, please note that there are no justices of the peace in Maryland. Only a judge, the Clerk of the Circuit Court or an appointed designated Deputy Clerk of the Circuit Court may perform civil ceremonies. In Queen Anne's County, the Clerk and her designated deputies perform civil ceremonies only in the courthouse and only between the hours of 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. Wednesday and Friday, except for State holidays. Appointments are required. The cost for a civil ceremony is $25, payable by cash, Visa/MasterCard, cashier's check or money order.

Certified Copies of Your Marriage License

Certified copies of the marriage can be obtained once the return has been received by the Clerk's Office from the official for a fee of $5.50 each, payable by Cash or Visa/MasterCard if appearing in person to obtain certified copies. If not appearing in person and ordering certified copies of your marriage license by mail, please use the attached Request for Certified Copy form. If copies are to be mailed, the fee is payable by cashier’s check or money order.

If it is not convenient to visit the Clerk's Office in the county where the marriage is to take place, you may apply for a license using a Non-Resident Marriage License Application-Affidavit (fillable PDF form). In order to view PDF files, you may need to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader software. You can also obtain the form from your county or from the county in which you plan to have your wedding. This form must be taken to the Clerk of the Circuit Court or comparable official where you reside. A "comparable official" would be a public official in the State, County, or Province where you reside who issues marriage licenses or performs the same duties as the Clerk of the Circuit Court in Maryland. A notary public's affidavit is not sufficient, since that official, although a public officer, does not perform the same duties and is not comparable to the Clerk of Court in Maryland. Please call the Clerk's Office for more information.

Correction to a Marriage Record

Correction to Marriage Records may be requested in writing (along with supporting documentation, for example: birth certificate to prove your name is spelled differently than what is shown on your marriage record.) You may, for your convenience, use our Correction Request form and mail to our office with the supporting documentation.

More Information

For further information on obtaining a marriage license or scheduling civil ceremonies, please call 410-758-1773.